If you have even the slightest inclination to maintain your smooth, even skin, you already know that donning sunscreen is vital year-round, but it’s especially important in the summer months. When you take a dip in the pool, lake or ocean, exactly how much SPF should you use and how often you should reapply it? Here’s a refresher on all things suncare, from how long in advance of swimming it should be applied, to exactly how much you need.
No matter what you’ve read, to avoid a blistering burn, reapply every 30 minutes if you’re in the sun. It’s important to read that sunscreen bottle.The FDA mandates that companies print how long sunscreens are water-resistant (note: not waterproof) on the bottle. Even after a short swim, you should reapply after an hour or so. Plus, if you think you’ve wiped off your sunscreen drying yourself with a towel, you probably have. Use good judgment and slather some back on.
How much should you apply to your body? Sunscreens require at least 1-ounce (about a shot glass) amount to protect the body and face, or a teaspoon-size for face only. You should also apply your SPF 30 minutes before sun exposure.
At what point should you layer on SPF? Your UV protection should actually be the last thing you put on before your makeup. To take it all off at night, make sure to double cleanse your face to adequately remove all traces of sunscreen so as not to clog your pores.
DCL has SPF for every skin concern:
- Ultra Light Hydrator SPF 30 is a light-as-air daily moisturizer with broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection that rehydrates oily, combination and acne-prone skin without blocking pores or provoking flare ups.
Oily Or Sensitive Skin
- Antioxidant Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30 is an antioxidant-infused chemical-free sunblock formulated with zinc oxide for powerful water-resistant UVA/UVB protection that’s safe and soothing for even the most sensitive skin types and the delicate undereye area.
- Super Sheer Sunscreen SPF 50 is a lightweight, fast absorbing and versatile broad spectrum sunscreen with a translucent, matte finish.
Normal Or Combination Skin
- Skin Renewal Complex SPF 30 is a treatment for all skin types that combines the exfoliating expertise of glycolic acid with proven sunscreens for a first of its kind multi-action, anti-aging powerhouse.
Dry Or Mature Skin
- Essential Skin Protection SPF 30 is a daily defensive, water-resistant broad spectrum sunscreen that helps prevent sun and environmental damage while deeply moisturizing skin with high performance hydrators.
- Profoundly Effective A SPF 30 is a multi-faceted moisturizing cream for dry and mature skin.